Thursday, September 12, 2013

Postcard Pouch Favors

For some reason, I've been having a hard time figuring out what to do for party favors. After a few ideas came and went, I finally let the materials decide what they wanted to be. I had some leftover light weight muslin fabric and decided to make pouches. Mind you, I had no idea what to put in them at the moment, but decided to make them with a wide enough opening and depth for a variety of items. I cut the fabric in strips of 13" by 6", folded them in half and ironed the crease. 


Then I selected some colored thread to give the seams some life. I split the pile in half and decided on gold with fuchsia and gold with turquoise. I also wanted to add some more interest so I used different types of stitches. 


The gold thread got a straight line and the pink and blue got a tiny zig zag.


Once constructed, I used a stamp to decorate the center of the pouches. I found the stamp after a "draw my own stamp" trial and error session. I just wasn't getting the right vibe from my own ideas. Thankfully, I found it in a stamp that mimics a used postcard. Didn't know it was what I wanted until I saw it. I went with two colors for the stamping as well. The pouches with pink stitching got stamped with a tangerine color and the blue stitching got kelly green.






As usual, the project took over my dining room table as I have yet to decide on a spot for a proper work area.

A few days later, I decided that I will make some key lime melt-away and strawberry shortbread cookies to fill the pouches with. The initial indecision on every aspect of these favors has become very apparent to me as I write this post. It's probably a good thing. I bought some glassine bags so that all the cookie goodness would not seep through the light fabric while we're dancin' the night away.

With that said, I'm excited to have some friends over this weekend. We're going to be making some snack bags for an event our undergraduate sorority sisters are hosting. I hope this little craft/bake night will be the perfect opportunity to test out my recipe.



Jonsi kept me inspired.

-photo of album cover courtesy of www.jonsi.com-

No comments:

Post a Comment