Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Chair Love

The task of taking out over 2,000 staples is the worst summer afternoon activity I can possibly think of. But my mom and I set out to change the fabric on an office chair that I rescued from my old office space and had no choice. It wasn't so bad because any opportunity to do something awful while laughing with my mom, is a welcomed one.

The chair was handcrafted by a California furniture company called Schafer Bros. and covered in a "smoky quartz" polyester wool fabric. Since it is an office chair, it sits on a reclining brass mount that rolls on black casters. When we found it, the condition of the fabric was awful, but it had a great shape and had lots of potential to be fun and functional. We dragged it through the move to our new place and I just have to get it done before my birthday party. After assisting in the search for an affordable quote, my mom volunteered to help me do it on our own. It wasn't our first time at the rodeo, but we had no idea what we were in for. Thankfully, once we got inside, we realized it had great bones which was a relief. I think the worst part has been taking it apart and fighting with my mom's sewing machine. I've been sewing since I was a kid, but have always had trouble with front mount bobbin machines which, of course, is the kind my mom owns. I own a drop mount bobbin machine that I, of course, had left at home: 10 miles away. Either way, I'm pretty impressed (not surprised) by our success so far and hope we can finish it off without an issue. Photos of the final product are coming once its done tonight or tomorrow morning.


Yes, I chose a bright orange with off-white polka dot fabric! It seemed like the most perfectly silly print to cover an old chair in. It'll also bring some fun into our neutral bedroom.

BEFORE


No comments:

Post a Comment