Wednesday, September 4, 2013

New To Me, Old To The World

On a recent visit (more like raid) to my mother's house, I collected a few things for my birthday party:

First, she's lending me two drink dispensers which aren't my favorite, but don't clash with the look I'm going for and are free to use.

Second, glassware. I borrowed (stole) a ton of vintage glassware that belonged to my late grandfather and his second wife. They immigrated from Cuba to Burlington, Iowa in the 50-60's and started quite a collection of fine household items. I was able to look into one of the sets of glassware because they had a name stamped to the side. Just after a copyright symbol it says, "Culver" in a cursive font then "LTD" in all caps. They're cocktail tumblers with a red and gold paisley print. I found out that they are made of 22 karat gold foil and red enamel, but because the set is missing one (seven are left) and they are not in great condition, they'd only be valued at about $10 a glass. They were made in the 40-50s in New York. Apparently, Culver made very popular glassware and some sets are worth a lot today. I was just excited to find something that was actually made in the era that my party is sort of themed for. Woohoo! I also found a set of four decorative champagne glasses with a gold rim, four water glasses with gold trim on bottom and top, and three coups that boast some beautiful floral engraving--stars of the show in my opinion.


Now that I have enough glassware, I'm thinking about decorations. I would love to have some kind of floral garland action in the room, but don't want to spend a lot. I also don't want it to look cheap. I'm considering making it myself, but the image I have in my head is very involved and I'm not sure I'll have time over the next two weeks to make it happen. Obviously, the garland situation will be a big point of contention. Wish me luck!  

No comments:

Post a Comment