Tuesday, March 18, 2014

And Because I Couldn't Keep it to Just One Slice...

I had to make a chalk board for the kitchen!



Same type and brand of wood slice as the mirror, but with no carving or glueing required. I really liked the look of a perfect circle inside the organic wood shape and sized out my plate collection until I found one that fit just right as a guide for my circle. Leaning against the edge of the plate I drew out the circle. Then I hand painted the shape with a brush and chalkboard paint. I have a pretty steady hand so I didn't tape off the edge of the circle, but if you'd like to, you can use electrical tape or another type of tape that is flexible so it'll follow a round line. I especially recommend this if you use spray paint, but remember to also cover the edges of the actual slice you don't get the spray paint outside the intended shape. The paint brand suggested using two or more coats so I went with four total (waited at least an hour between coats) and let it set for 24 hours. I recommend not sanding between coats because the chalk paint with begins staining the wood. I attached the same type of black suede strap as the mirror, but with copper nails instead of brass. I actually just cut that strap in half when I made the mirror so I had the other half left. I used mineral oil to condition the wood then hung it up. It's hanging above my coffee bar and I'm always looking for moments to celebrate my heritage so it seemed appropriate to go with "coffee with milk" in spanish.

No comments:

Post a Comment