Monday, September 30, 2013

Lentil Soup Fun

I'm waiting on an important call and woke up today wanting to make something new. I opened the cupboard and the bag of lentils began speaking to me. I'm following Ina Garten's recipe which I found online but am making some tweaks (as usual). The biggest edit is the addition of some bacon grease. I made some bacon while the vegetables were sautéing and once the bacon was done, I added the grease from the pan. The reason I was making bacon is I want to serve the soup with some mini sandwich triangles. I'm going to toast our usual Pepperidge Farm brand whole wheat thin slices and add tomato, cheese and bacon slices. Just trying to make the healthy fiber intake more fun. Hope it turns out as good as it looks in my head. Stay tuned for some photos later. Hope you're having a great day!

INGREDIENTS
Half pound of dry lentils
1 1/2 chopped large yellow onions 
1 1/2 minced cloves of garlic cloves
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
Half tablespoon of salt
3/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
Half teaspoon of dried thyme
Half teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 cups medium-diced celery
1 1/2 cups medium-diced carrots
1 1/2 quarts of low sodium chicken stock
1/8 cup of tomato paste
1 tablespoon of red wine
3 slices chopped cooked bacon
2 tablespoons freshly grated asiago cheese

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, cover the lentils in boiling water and let it sit for 15 minutes then drain.
In a large pot on medium heat, saute the onion and garlic with the olive oil, salt pepper, thyme and cumin for about 20 minutes. Add the celery and carrots and continue to saute for 10 more minutes. Add the chicken stock, tomato paste and lentils. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and dimmer uncovered for about an hour. Add the red wine and stir. I like my lentil soup to be a little more dense so I poured the mixture into a food processor and pulsed until I got the texture I desired. Pour back into the pot and let it sit on low until ready to serve. Garnish with bacon and asiago.

UPDATE
I scratched the mini sandwiches idea and instead added the bacon directly and grated asiago directly to the soup as a garnish. It took about 1/4 cup freshly grated asiago cheese and three slices of bacon, cooked and chopped. Delicious and filling!

No comments:

Post a Comment