Wednesday, August 14, 2013

1920s, Were You Really Roaring?

I've got a 1920's themed birthday party to go to on Saturday and although I'm excited to celebrate another year of my friend's existence, I'm having a creative block on what to wear that night. Because I'm that friend, I actually own a cloche hat that has black and feathers on it as a fashion and not costume choice. It's currently a contender for the head gear portion of my outfit. The other choice is a feathered hair brooch that features three peacock feathers and black beading. I can incorporate it into an elaborate hair style or find some fabric and make it a headpiece. Yes, also a fashion choice and not from a costume. It seems like the 20s is subconsciously my favorite decade, but it's not. The 50s take that one by a landslide.


One contender that I currently have in my closet:


It's got the deco vibe, but something about the colors screams 80s.


Back to the topic at hand, my overall feelings about the options I have in my closet are that a) they're too fancy for a backyard soiree and b) all the color schemes are very dark which I'm not currently a fan of. I'm looking for a more romantic mood like that of white, gold, pink and lavender colors. What to do...I can't justify shopping for an outfit because, let's face it, when will it feel appropriate to wear again? I visited an expensive second hand shop called Miami Twice with a friend, just to get some ideas. When we walked in, we were approached by a sales person and we explained what we were looking for. She asked, "is it a 20s party or a Gatsby party? Those are different." I wasn't sure how to answer so I texted the birthday girl. Turns out she has no prejudice on what version of the 1920s is present at her party, but she got her outfit at Nordstrom so I'm going to guess that it'll be more lavish than I thought.

This brings me to my current mission: Temporarily upgrade a current piece of clothing with some 1920s glamour or create something from scratch.

Anyway, I started this post yesterday afternoon and thought about my options. I got the day off from the museum today so I think I'll check some local fabric/crafting stores and see what I can come up with. Hope it's awesome!

-photo courtesy of www.anthropologie.com-

No comments:

Post a Comment